Saturday, January 20, 2007

How organic are Wal-Mart 'organics'?

How organic are Wal-Mart 'organics'?

This article discusses a concern that the mega-marketer, Wal-Mart, may be misleading consumers about the so-called organic products they are now offering.

If I am reading this correctly, the biggest concern is NOT with the products themselves, but with signage about these products which could mislead consumers into thinking products that are NOT organic are.

I am no fan of Wal-Mart, although I shop there a lot simply because of economies of scale and the simple fact that, in Central Illinois where I live, there just are NOT a lot of choices, UNLESS I want to drive more than an hour away.

However, it seems to me that if you are a consumer interested in organic products, you should also be a LABEL READER. I always check the ingredient labels on "organic" foods to see if they are claiming organic and only the main ingredient is, or if ALL the ingredients are organic.

But I guess we have to "protect" less savvy consumers from being "fooled" into thinking that a non-organic product on a shelf NEXT to an organic product, is an organic product.

READ LABELS PEOPLE!!!


How Organic are Wal-Mart 'organics'

No comments:

Post a Comment